It’s easier said than done but it’s always doable! It’s simple in theory, right? How do you act like a genius and think like a genius? Ask yourself what would a genius do?
Anyone can think act and think a genius. Operating in your genius means exploring all options even after you have found a promising solution, making your thoughts visible – writing them down, they produce and take action, they collaborate instead of competing and last but not least they prepare themselves for opportunities.
Do you have the genius trait?
We all do with a little practice and consistent focus.
Most of the time we fall short because we aren’t consistent and focused enough to really overcome the challenges and frustrations we face because we are master procrastinators AND it ain’t nothing but FEAR. trying to hold you back. Fear is more than just false evidence appearing real, it is anything holding you back to keep you in your comfort zone. Everything you want to accomplish is on the outside of your comfort zone.
You have dreams and goals to accomplish, don’t you?
Step one: Get out of your head and tell all those negative thoughts to just shut up!
Step two: Take stock of who you allow to pour into you and who your around consistently because you are the sum of the 5 people you spend the most time with. Do an exercise for me.
Exercise: Write down the 5 closest people you spend time and talk to most often. Think about it for a second. Grab a piece of paper and right it down. The people you talk to the most, spend the most time with, the people you share your dreams with etc. Then below their names write down the habits and commonalities you share. What do they do that you’ve adopted?
Do they read?
Do they use daily affirmations?
Do they have goals with a strategic plan of execution?
How often do you talk with them?
Is the relationship serving you?
Do they challenge you to be the best version of yourself?
Take stock of what is working and what isn’t. Be honest.
Part of acting like a genius and thinking like one is knowing when to switch things up and let things go that are no longer serving you. You will hear me say that there are levels to everything and the one thing that got you to this point will not get you to the next. It will require more energy, more effort, more planning and definitely more ACTION!
Who you are is exactly who you attract, it doesn’t matter if it is in business or in your personal relationships. Take stock of who you are… if you don’t like it, change it! Stop looking for other people to do what you know you need to be doing for yourself. People can help you but it is ultimately you who has to apply the knowledge you receive and seek.
How do I know this? I had to look at my circle AND let me be clear I have some bad ass folks in my circle. The people I admired the most in business and just in general (personally) and I realized that we had a lot in common. We all have great ideas, we all know what we SHOULD do in order to see our ideas and dreams come full circle, we read inspirational and motivational self-help books, we listen to podcasts, we write out our goals BUT we ALL failed when it came to execution. Yep, none of us execute the way we should. We were great at dropping the ball somewhere along the process. It didn’t matter how great we could envision the end goal, had the team to help us, no matter how many books we read on the subject matter the ball would stop just short of full execution. The momentum died and now we were off to the next thing. That gets tiring. That gets draining. That is frustrating. Does this sound like you too? I got tired of being sick and tired and it’s frustrating to always have to start over and over again all the time. And then when you look back all you can do is blame yourself because it’s something you missed, a step you skipped, you didn’t execute the way you needed to. Yep, at the end of the day blame yourself because at the end of the day it’s your goal, it’s your dream, it’s your idea and to bring it full circle YOU will have to roll your sleeves up and get it done, no matter who said they were going to help.
I felt like I couldn’t call anyone else out on their shit because I kept dropping the ball too. When you realize you cannot challenge or call someone out in your circle because ya’ll both playing then you need to change who you are hanging around with, immediately. Don’t past go, don’t collect your $200. It’s time for drastic change. Especially if you want different results. When you know better you must do better. AND there is no love lost. Not one ounce but you need to know when it’s time to move on and spend time with people who will hold you accountable and call you on your shit each and every time.
Growing isn’t fun. It doesn’t feel good and it shouldn’t. If growing was so easy everyone would be doing it but as you know some folks love to stay stagnant, focus on the problem instead of the solution. That gets old and if you find yourself hitched to someone like that RUN, and RUN FAST!
So, let’s jump into my 6 tips to acting and thinking like a genius:
1. Figure out who you are and what you want and don’t settle for less. Stop what you’re doing cause I’m about to ruin that comfortable lifestyle that your use to. Hahahaha yep! Dig deeper, think deeper. Don’t settle for the right now, don’t settle because it feels good. Keep pushing… keep your eyes on the prize… develop that tunnel vision needed to get that thing DONE! Ready, set, GO!
2. Do It. Do It. Do It! Don’t let failure define you when you don’t find success the first time around. After all, Thomas Edison had to get through more than 1,000 prototypes for the light bulb before he made one that worked. Do you have that kind of persistence? Fall down 7 times get up 8. Do it until you get the results you want.
3. Get your goals in order. Please and thank you. What are your goals looking like? Setting a high bar for yourself and sharing your goals with others — whether they are friends or colleagues — can make you more likely to accomplish them. BUT faith without works is dead so don’t expect to sit on the couch and accomplish much. You will have to take consistent action over and over again to get the results you desire. Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.
4. What are you feeding your mind? What are you reading? People who read for 15 minutes a day can be exposed to more than 1 million words a year. Successful people have a reading regiment and read regularly. They are constantly learning new things and from different perspectives. The more you read the more creative you become in your thoughts to solving problems and how you execute them.
5. Stay hungry. Stay Foolish. Smart people are always asking questions, making inferences and thinking critically about the world around them – Thinking about how they can make a difference, how they can do something better, how they can make an impact. There are no dumb questions, there are no dumb ideas. There are billions of people on this planet, different religions, lifestyles, and interests. Don’t be afraid to explore.
6. Check in with yourself. Make sure you are asking yourself the hard questions and be honest in your answers. If you can’t be honest and authentic with yourself then how can you be honest and authentic with others? Check in with your energy, your thoughts, your progress, your goals, what you’ve accomplished and what still needs to be done.
7. Write without fear. Edit without mercy. OMG Yassssss pull out that pen, get some paper and write. Write your freakin’ heart out… put it all on paper… clear your thoughts, write it all down. You will be surprised how much clarity you will have when you start writing regularly. I have found that collecting your thoughts in a journal can be life changing. Take a look at history some of the most influential people kept detailed records of their thoughts. Journaling serves two purposes: it allows for you to keep a permanent record of your thoughts for reflection later, and it’s a cathartic release of your thoughts.